Israel at War 2006

Life in Haifa and north of Israel during the 2006 war with Hezbollah in Lebanon

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Day 7: Sirens in the school yard, missles in the sea.

July 18th, 2007 10:30

Last night I had to take the dogs out for a walk. They hadn't been out all day and up to now there had been no missile attacks at night because the missile launchers are easier to see at night. It was a nice night out. All was very still. Almost no cars on the road and only the occasional walker. I was in the school yard letting the larger dog Rio run around when the sirens went off. I can't describe the strange surreal feeling of being in a dark school yard, normally full of children now empty with the echoes of sirens moaning in the night. I felt like I was in a science fiction movie.

Since a rocket hit close to home earlier in the day, I didn't wait a second. I grabbed the puppy up in my arms and ran with it and the large one back to the house. I figured I had only one minute before the missiles start landing. I dashed into the house while the sirens were still wailing and went into the safe room. I didn't think I had time to make it to the shelter. I heard the distant 'thud' as one missile landed far away. I prayed that no one was hurt.

Sirens sounding... go to go

I'm back. I was in the shelter with the two other families remaining. Everyone was rested. While it was a long day yesterday - the first siren went off at just a little before 6 in the morning and the last one was around 10:30 at night - Hezbollah let us have a good night's sleep and this was today's first siren. We heard the thuds, but they were very distant - I pray they landed in the sea.

Shalom,
Yves

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home